Employment issue? Call us today at (512) 330-0017!

The L-1 Visa

There are a number of different visas available under US law, each one for a different purpose and with different stipulations, obligations, and entitlements. One of the most common in employment law is the L-1 visa, which provides for international transferees who are coming from a foreign branch of a corporation to a United States branch. The visa comes in two variants, the L-1A and the L-1B, depending on the duties and qualifications of the individual.

To qualify for an L-1 visa, an individual must have been employed by a related organization or business abroad for at least one year out of the last three years, and will be coming to the United States to work either in an executive/managerial position (in the case of the L-1A visa), or in position requiring specialized knowledge in the field (in the case of the L-1B visa).

The L-1A Visa

To be considered for the L-1A Visa as an executive, you must:

  • Be in charge of the management of the business or a sizable element of that business;
  • Be part of the decision-making process of the business;
  • Have little direction from the executives or shareholders of the business.

To be considered for the L-1B Visa as a manager, you must:

  • Manage a sizable part or division of the company;
  • Operate in a supervisory role within the company;
  • Have the authority to make hirings and firings as you see fit.

The L-1B Visa

To be considered for the L-1B Visa, which applies to workers with a specialization in their field, you

  • Have knowledge specialized to the company;
  • Have an in-depth knowledge of the operations of the company.

Contact Us

If you would like help in filing for an L-1 visa, or any other type of US visa, contact the Austin employment attorneys of The Melton Law Firm by calling (512) 330-0017.

The Melton Law Firm
925 S Capital of Texas Hwy
Ste B225
Austin, TX 78746
(512) 330-0017

See Map & Directions >