Employment issue? Call us today at (512) 330-0017!

The H-1B Visa

The H-1B Visa is a visa issued by the United States government for foreigners working in the United States with at least a Bachelor’s Degree or the equivalent. It is meant for foreign nationals who want to work in the country temporarily, in “specialty occupations.” If you have any questions about what type of US visa you will need to find employment in the United States, contact the Austin employment attorneys of The Melton Law Firm by calling (512) 330-0017 today.

What Is a Specialty Occupation?

The term “specialty occupation,” as it’s used in regards to the H-1B visa, means a job which requires a high degree of specialized knowledge in a field of human endeavor. These fields include:

  • Architecture
  • Engineering
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Biotechnology
  • Medicine and other medical fields
  • Education
  • Law
  • Accounting
  • Business
  • Theology
  • Art

Once an employee has been issued an H-1B visa, he or she is not required to stay at the same place of employment. For example, an Argentinean professor of music comes to teach at the University of Texas, and is issued an H-1B visa to work there. This professor can leave the University and Texas and teach at Juilliard if he or she chooses.

Contact Us

If you are coming to the United States for employment and have questions about what employment visa you will need to obtain in order to legally do so, contact the Austin employment lawyers of The Melton Law Firm by calling (512) 330-0017.

The Melton Law Firm
925 S Capital of Texas Hwy
Ste B225
Austin, TX 78746
(512) 330-0017

See Map & Directions >