Employment issue? Call us today at (512) 330-0017!


Work Visas

The United States requires that foreign nationals seeking employment in this country possess a work visa. There are a wide variety of different visas issued by the US Government, each for a different situation. If you are a citizen of a foreign nation and you are seeking employment in the United States, it may help to be familiar with the various visas which may affect you.

If your employer has unfairly or illegally taken advantage of you, you may be entitled to seek compensation. The Austin employment attorneys of The Melton Law Firm may be able to help you. Contact us today by calling 512-330-0017 to find out more about how we can help you.

Types of Work Visas

The United States has a long list of visas specifically covering foreign nationals being employed in this country. Some of the most common are:

  • The H-1B visa: The H-1B covers most professional-level occupations. To file for an H-1B visa, the position you are applying for must require a bachelor’s degree, and you must hold the equivalent of such a degree.
  • The L-1 Visa: The L-1 visa is for employees who are being transferred internationally to a different branch of their company. You must have worked for this company for at least one year in the past three, and you must be serving in an executive or managerial position.
  • The TN Visa: The TN visa is for certain citizens of Mexico and Canada to work in the United States. Unlike the H-1B visa, there is no annual cap on how many can be issued.

Unfortunately, protecting your rights in a new country can be a struggle. If you believe your employer has infringed on your legal rights, our Austin employment attorneys can help.

Contact Us

If you have any concerns about how your visa can affect your employment, the Austin employment lawyers of The Melton Law Firm may be able to help. Contact us today by calling 512-330-0017.

The Melton Law Firm
925 S Capital of Texas Hwy
Ste B225
Austin, TX 78746
(512) 330-0017

See Map & Directions >