Austin Sex Discrimination Lawyer
In the experience of Austin sex discrimination lawyers The Melton Law Firm, sexist hostile work environments often manifest themselves in the form of sexual harassment. This is a work environment in which frequent, pervasive, and offensive behavior of a sexual nature is interfering with an employee’s ability to do his or her job. This behavior can include:
- Unwelcome vulgar comments, jokes, or gestures
- Inappropriate drawings or pictures in the workplace
- Unwanted physical contact of a sexual nature
- Crude or offensive language
Title VII and Hostile Work Environments
It is important to note that a sexist hostile work environment does not necessarily include sexual harassment or abuse. Under Title VII of the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964, it is illegal for any employee to be targeted because of his or her gender. You may be experiencing a sexist hostile work environment if you regularly encounter any of the following at work:
- Dismissive or insulting comments about your sex or gender
- Pictures or drawings intended to offend a particular sex
- Being unfairly disciplined or passed over for promotion
- Jokes or language that stereotype or offend a particular sex
Hostile work environments must be pervasive; ordinary rudeness and one-time incidents do not qualify as a hostile work environment unless they are especially severe.
In order to file a hostile work environment suit, you need to be able to demonstrate that the harassment you encountered was frequent, widespread, and explicitly or implicitly condoned by management. A workplace is hostile if it consistently interferes with your ability to do your job correctly.
Contact an Attorney Today
If you are dealing with a sexist hostile work environment, you need a dedicated attorney to collect evidence, organize your case, and fight for your rights. Contact experienced Austin sexist hostile work environment attorneys The Melton Law Firm at (512) 330-0017.