Austin Hostile Environment Sexual Harassment Attorney
At The Melton Law Firm, we represent workers who have been subjected to hostile environment sexual harassment. This type of sexual harassment occurs when a coworker or group of coworkers severely or repeatedly harasses another worker, yet the supervisor or management does nothing to stop it. Sometimes this type of harassment is tolerated or even encouraged by management in order to get a worker to quit his or her job.
If sexual harassment in your workplace has created a hostile environment that interferes with your ability to do your job, our Austin hostile environment sexual harassment lawyers are ready to help you fight back. Contact The Melton Law Firm today at 512-330-0017 to discuss your case and your legal rights.
Examples of Hostile Environment Sexual Harassment
In cases of hostile environment sexual harassment, the harassment can be both direct and indirect to qualify as sexual harassment under employment law. Some examples of direct sexual harassment include:
- Using derogatory sexual slurs to refer to a coworker
- Making frequent unwanted physical contact with a worker, whether sexual or not
- Leaving pornographic photos or sexual paraphernalia on a person’s desk
- Teasing a coworker for not participating in telling sexually derogatory jokes or stories
Many times, the sexual harassment committed is indirect. It is not necessary for harassment to involve directly speaking to a worker or touching him or her to constitute harassment. Some examples of more indirect sexual harassment are:
- Using sexually derogatory language or telling dirty jokes in the workplace
- Allowing employees, clients, or other to make sexual advances on a worker
- When an employer or supervisor allows any of these types of harassment to occur, they can be held legally accountable for hostile work environment sexual harassment.
Employees are entitled to a workplace that is free from degrading, distracting treatment such as sexual harassment. If you or someone you know has been sexually harassed in the workplace, contact the Austin hostile environment sexual harassment attorneys of The Melton Law Firm at 512-330-0017 today.